Answers to Some Frequently Asked Questions

Regarding Birth and Death Certificates

1. How can I get a birth certificate?

A: If you were born in MO after 1919 and are in the area, you can come to the office for one. Call the office with further questions.


2. How can I get a death certificate?

A: If the death was in MO and occurred 1980 or after, you can come to office for one. Call the office with further questions.


3. How long does it take to receive a birth certificate?

A: Once the request form is received and paid for, the birth cerificate is printed while you wait. The approximate wait time is 2-5 minutes.


4. What payment methods are accepted?

A: You may pay with cash, check and debit/credit cards.


5. Do I need my birth certificate to get a social security card?

A: Only if you are getting your social security card for the first time. For more information call the Social Security Office (877)-850-7824.


6.  What do I need to get my birth certificate?

A: You will need a photo ID or two forms of identification such as a social security card, a piece of mail with your name and address, a pay stub, your car registration, voter registration, insurance card, credit card with your picture and name, yearbook with your name and picture, or a speeding ticket.


7. Who can get a death certificate?

A: A close relative can obtain a certificate. If you are not related, you must have a legal reason to get a copy.


8. Who can get a birth certificate?

A: A first degree relative of the person up to, but not including, cousins. If you are the father and your name is not on the birth certificate, you must have court papers showing you have custody of the child. If you are not a relative, you must have court paperwork showing you have custody of the child.


Regarding STDs

1. Is there a cost to be tested or treated at the health department's STD clinic?

A: Most tests and treatments are free. Call us with questions.


2. Can a person under 18 years old get tested without parental permission?

A: In Missouri, minors can be tested and treated for sexually transmitted diseases without parental consent.


3. Will my information be kept private?

A: Your personal information is handled in a professional, confidential manner according to HIPPA rules and state laws.


4. What can I be tested for?

A: Urine tests for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia. Blood draws for HIV/Syphilis. Vaginal test for Trichomoniasis (trich). Herpes swab for active genital sores/blisters. Additional testing for individuals who are having vaginal or urethral symptoms.


5. Can I make an appointment?

A: Appointments are made only under special circumstances and through the STD nurse. If you have been diagnosed with an STD or your current or recent partner has informed you they have an STD, you may call the clinic nurse to make special arrangements for treatment or come to a walk-in clinic. Calling in advance to make arrangements with the nurse helps you get seen as soon as possible.


6. Can I get a PAP smear here?

A: Yes, PAPs are done one Tuesday a month. Appointments must be made in advance. Call the Health Department to set up an appointment.


7. What happens if my HIV test is positive?

A: With routine HIV testing, the State lab will run a screening test. If the test is reactive, the lab will run a confirmatory test. If the confirmatory test is reactive, you have the HIV virus. HIV is treatable, so you will be referred to an HIV Case Manager who will help you get in touch with a physician who specializes in HIV. This is your choice, but it is highly recommended.